Here’s a rundown of my process from our first meeting to the end of the project.
1. Schedule a discovery call where we get to know each other and figure out if my services can solve your business problem. Questions I’ll ask include:
- Tell me a little about the project. What goals do you have?
- Do you have a budget set aside for the project? Is that budget at least $5000?
- When are you hoping to get started on this project?
- Are you the owner of the project? Should we plan on inviting other members of your team to the initial consult?
- Is this a new type of project for your organization, or have you worked with instructional designers in the past?
2. After the discovery call I’ll send you a follow-up email with a list of project scoping questions similar to this:
- What is the business problem that you are trying to solve?
- What does success look like?
- What business group or person is sponsoring the project?
- Who are the primary audiences affected and how many people in each audience?
- What are the audiences’ attitudes and expectations toward training and this program in general?
- What behavior changes are required for the project to be successful?
- How important is tracking and reporting for this program? How do you currently track and report learning engagements?
- What tools do you currently leverage for training and content management (rapid authoring tools, LMSs, CMSs, etc.)?
- How flexible are you with the structure, approach, and creativity of this program?
- What existing content can be leveraged?
- What resources are you able to provide to the project from a subject matter expertise standpoint?
- What milestones and dates are critical to meet?
- What is your budget? What are the biggest priorities among cost, time, and quality?
- Could this project lead to regular work, or is this a one-time task?
- What alterations will happen to the completed project? Graphic design? Development?
- Does the client have examples?
3. Optional follow up phone call to discuss scope of project
4. I’ll email you a Project Proposal Contract that will include pricing, deliverables, and deadlines. If you have questions or want to negotiate costs, we can schedule a call.
5. Once we’ve both signed the contract, I’ll begin designing the course. (Outline, Script, storyboard). I also prefer half of the payment at the start, but I’m flexible.
6. I’ll create a prototype that I’ll send to you. You can add your feedback straight to the review link or we can schedule a call or both! This is Round #1 of edits.
7. I’ll implement your changes and send you an updated prototype for Round #2 of edits. (You only get 2 rounds of edits before final implementation)
8. After Round #2 I’ll publish the course to your LMS or wherever you want the course to go.
9. I’ll ask for the rest of the payment and ask for a customer review via a Google form I’ll send you.
10. Enjoy your course and I’m always available if you need anything changed or updated. I’d also like to know if your employees are learning from my training course so I’ll send you an email about 6 months after the course is complete to see if you have data or anecdotal evidence that the training is working.